Establish a program of prevention and treatment in specialized centers of Ludopathy and a Responsible Gaming System, seeking the protection of the individual and his family.
Responsible gambling helps to consolidate a healthy industry. As a company we have an important job: to provide a quality service, under conditions of safety for bettors and with trained personnel. These are fundamental conditions for building and exercising a sense of shared responsibility.
An industry committed to these values must channel its growth and expansion into a permanent policy of promoting moderate play and discouraging compulsive behavior. Addressing consumption and discouraging addiction must be a constant concern of any company linked to the activity. We watch over the development of the activity within the parameters established by law; Supervising the quality of the service promoting in society a healthy exercise of the game, based on moderation and responsibility and implementing prevention and assistance actions for those with addictive behaviors.
It is clear that our activity affects the community, a small percentage of vulnerable public. We are aware of this fact, which is why it is intended to establish mechanisms of communication, prevention and help with affected communities, to know and measure that impact, and try to reduce or compensate. The first step is for the individual to become aware of their illness, not to feel ashamed and to know that it is a treatable and curable disease. Let the gambler stop playing is not the only goal. The fact of forbidding the affected to place their bets is not the solution. It is necessary to approach the problem in a personalized way, with an individual diagnosis and a tailor-made treatment trying to make it possible for the individual to attend the game rooms and that the impulse and its behaviors do not drive the addiction.
| What is gambling?
Ludopatía has been recognized as a disease since 1980 by the World Health Organization and its partner organizations.
In addition, the American Psychiatric Association similarly recognizes it as a primary disease that fits within Behavioral Addictions, consisting of maladaptive, persistent, and recurrent gambling behavior.
The psychosocial and mental health consequences of Ludopathy require a specific intervention framework.
Consequently, the Responsible Gaming project contemplates preventive as well as care aspects through specialized centers.
| The Compulsive Player
Compulsive gambling is beyond the player’s emotional control. Unlike the professional or social player, the compulsive can not stop and his interest is focused only on the next bet. The need to play dominates your thinking and energy. So much energy is used in planning how, when and where to play. Often the pleasure decays and is replaced by anxiety related to the ability to get money for the next gambling adventure and debt repayment. The compulsive gambler is an impotent witness to the harm he inflicts on himself and those around him, and life becomes unsustainable.
The escape to the game, with the consequent detachment of everyday reality, leads to the creation of a surrogate world, of fantasies that includes an elaborate network of rationalizations. At the moment of recovery it is indispensable, on the part of the actor, to recognize the impotence in front of the game and that has lost the control of his life.
| Ludopathy or pathological gambling
This pathology generates consequences for the patient and their family, work-social environment and is characterized by the following symptoms:
– Frequent concern about the game (eg, reliving past gaming experiences, compensating advantages among competitors, planning the next adventure, or thinking about ways to get money to play with).
– Need to play in increasing amounts of money to get the desired degree of excitement.
– Repeated failure in efforts to control, interrupt or stop the game.
– Restlessness or irritability when trying to interrupt or stop the game.
– The game uses it as a strategy to escape problems or to alleviate dysphoria (for example: feelings of hopelessness, guilt, anxiety, depression).
– After losing money in the game, it comes back another day to try to recover it.
– Family members, therapists or others are tricked into hiding the degree of involvement with the game.
– Illegal acts, such as counterfeiting, fraud, theft, or abuse of trust are discussed to finance the game.
– They have risked or lost significant interpersonal relationships, work and educational or professional opportunities due to gambling.
– It is trusted that the others provide money that alleviates the desperate financial situation caused by the game.
This disease reaches a great significance and seriousness, the subject is pushed to an overwhelming and uncontrollable impulse to play, which makes him an addict.
The impulse persists and progresses in intensity and urgency, consuming more and more time, energy and emotional and material resources available to the individual.
Finally, it invades, undermines, and often destroys everything that is significant in the person’s life. When chance does not benefit them, they are frequent the feelings of frustration that invade when realizing that they have lost the resources that they have to subsist. It is evident that in these cases players do not attend the casino in order to entertain themselves, but mostly with the illusion of multiplying what they have in their possession.
Ludopathy is a disorder of impulse control, which affects the will and not the reason.
| Structure and dynamics of the project
Taking into account these characteristics of Ludopatía and with the certainty that prevention is a fundamental pillar of all actions in Health, the Responsible Gambling Program of Azar Internacional S.A. Implements:
1- Basic training course for the personnel directly linked to the attention to customers of the gaming rooms.
2- Implementation of a center for prevention, guidance and treatment of pathological gambling or Ludopathy, with autonomous functioning, integrated to a helpdesk with professionals in the field.
3- Dissemination of basic concepts about pathological gambling using all the tools that are available: posters, brochures, etc.
It will provide a System of Prevention and Treatment of Ludopathy, which includes:
– Therapies and personalized treatments and family assistance for the prevention, care and treatment of Ludopathy.
– Training courses and updating on the disease for the personnel affected to the therapies and treatments, being able to celebrate to that end, agreements with organizations or academic institutions.
– Informative and preventive campaigns directed at the attending public.
The Responsible Gaming program will provide, among other things:
– Allow the player to voluntarily petition the casino authorities for a total ban on their entry into the room and the use of different games of chance.
– A telephone line of free and anonymous access in which all the information regarding the Ludopathy, care centers, treatments, schedules and contents of the planned programs will be made available to the compulsive bettor or his / her relatives.
– Brochures as an interactive and dissemination medium, indicating the details of the disease, the free help line and the hours of attention to the interested parties.
– A self-test to assess your situation.
– Consultations and surveys to the attendants to the casino referred to the problematic in question and the possibility of carrying out the self-test for all the people who so require.
– Training of contact personnel with the public attending the casino, so that they can recognize compulsive gambling and its consequences and be able to act safely against conflicts created by a possible ludopath or the relatives that accompany him, as well as eventually give guidance to the same.
– Mandatory cartel located strategically in the area of the gaming rooms.